Design Systems London 2019 - Siddharth Kshetrapal
15 November 2019
- it feels like everyone is shouting design systems and won’t stop
- what is a design system?
- way - principles and patterns.
- how - shared and integrated.
- why - define the overall design of a product.
- Design systems mean different things for different companies. It depends on the company size, culture - so yes - Bootstrap is a design system.
- Working on the design of components allowed them to look at all the requirements of the component. The states, the tab order, the error messages. Which gave the developers all of the things they needed to implement it.
- All products are not created equal. Building the design system for the application wasn’t made for marketing in mind. Bigger fonts, larger spacing. Design Tokens allowed to use the same components across teams more.
- But they wanted teams to be able to ‘tweak’ the components without relying on design tokens and rebuilding the components.
- Clean code doesn’t happen by accident.
- Not having the time or the size of company to work on a design system, you can work on parts of it as and when. Creating a ‘system’ that helps you design a design system.
- Like a Swiss Army knife of tools but you can’t have it all at once, so you start with a smaller, simpler knife and build up.